Friday, January 27, 2012

Crafting with the Munchkins- Valentine's Day Hearts

Thursdays are my day off, so this last Thursday, instead of baking like a crazy person like I normally do, the kids and I did a Valentine's Day craft.   Two points for me right? I know it's just a craft, but it beats letting them eat their body weight in whatever dough we may be mixing up at the time.

Anyways, I don't know where I saw the example of this craft at, but it's simple and fun.  Here's what you need:

crayons
cheese grater
wax paper
iron
scissors
thread

First let each kid picked out 3 crayons. Why three? I haven't a clue, it's the first number that came to my mind.  Pick as many as you like. 


Next peel off the crayon wrappers and grate the crayons.




Once all the crayons are grated spread one piece of wax paper on the table and have the kids sprinkle the crayon bits all around the wax paper.





When they like how it looks cover with another piece of wax paper and use an iron to melt the wax.  I found that fast, quick swipes over the wax paper melted the crayons without spreading them around to much and mixing the colors into an ugly brown.  The kids loved watching the crayons melt and spread around into neat color patterns.
before melting




After melting


Then all you have to do is draw hearts on the paper and have the child cut them out.  String them up and hang them in the window, or in Lilly's case on your wall. 



 Cute right?

I may have used the covers of my chicken magazine to secure the thread.

Again the duck is from one of my magazine covers.



No comments:

Post a Comment