Friday, February 18, 2011

Teaching Munchkins and What's in my bag?

I'm pretty lucky to have two days off during the week.  I get Tuesdays and Thursdays off, so my little munchkins and I stay home. They like coming to my bookstore with me, but they love staying home. When at home we bake, create, and learn.  I had always contemplated becoming a teacher, but my love of books won out, so I really enjoy setting down with my kids and having reading lessons,  working on numbers and letters,  and the art of making good bread.  My kids who are 4 and 2 1/2 soak it up like sponges.

On Tuesday, my daughter and I were working on some stuff in a preschool workbook when I realized that we had never learned about patterns. So when we put away all our "school stuff" to get ready for a dance party (oh how my kids love to dance!) I was already thinking about the best way to teach my little love-bug about patterns.  Now here's the thing about Lilly, she pays attention when and for how long she wants too.  If you've got something you want to teach her, it better be fun and fast.

Yes, like a bad mother we sometimes stay in our Pj's all day!
On Thursday I brought out some pattern beads I had gotten from Melissa & Doug  and we worked on patterns.  Well I should say her brother and her worked on patterns. My son, a pattern freak to the nth degree was all for teaching her.  They barely needed me.  It was amazing to watch my 4 year old son teach his sister all about patterns and how they worked.  He would start a pattern and say it out loud to her, and then ask her what went next.  OK, I helped a little.  But it really was awesome to see Lex teach Lilly , and watch as her eyes lit up when she grasped the concept.  After that she was a pro.  Well for about 5 minutes then she wanted to become a princess and that was the end of her schooling.

I know you are all dying to see my knitting bag and the crazy stuff I put in it so here it is.


You'd never believe all the crazy stuff I have in here!
I'm currently working on this pattern for a dead fish hat.  I know weird right, but it look pretty cool in the finished picture. If you see me anywhere I am carrying this knitting bag.  It has everything I need to survive in it.  Needles, knitting and sewing, thread, scissors, my Itouch cords, bubbles, and any number of crazy things that could someday save my life.  Someday when I have more time and less to talk about I'll post about my crazy-awesome knitting bag made by Green Chick.  Check out her website here.  She makes bags by recycling old clothing and fabric! Amazing! OK, I believe I have put off work long enough.  Enjoy the weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment