Friday, June 29, 2012

A Rain Barrel at Last!

I've been trying to talk my husband into helping me make a rain barrel for a couple of months now.  Last weekend I finally wore him down. It's a slightly hillbilly rain barrel without a spigot, but hey it will work.  Well at least I hope it works, we haven't had rain in weeks, so it's really anybody's guess if this thing is going perform as it should.  I'm quite proud of it despite it's looks.

Here the boys are completely ready to help me.  They are so serious in their task.


This was the best place to place our barrel.  We needed to do a little pruning.


Why yes, that is me wielding a hack saw. 


Ty had to chop the gutter thing and refit it. (My terms are so technical aren't they?)


We cut a hole in the lid of the barrel, screwed and caulked some netting to the top of it, and voila. I can't wait for it to rain to see how it works. Super excited.  If it ever rains I will just have to open the lid and dip my watering can in to fill it up with the caught rain water. (I'm hoping to wear Ty down into putting a spigot on it next spring. We'll see how that goes.)

No comments:

Post a Comment