Monday, January 17, 2011

Knowing Where you Come From

I spent Sunday afternoon cleaning out my grandparents house. My Grandmother passed away about 8 years ago, and my Grandfather just recently passed away. My Grandmother was my hero.  She taught me to spin, weave, quilt, dye wool, and any number of crafty things.  After she died I tried not to go back to the house, it was to painful.  So just going back into the house to clean it out was difficult.  It was hard, but it was wonderful too. She left me her two spinning wheels, a giant (seriously it fills half a room) loom, antique Singer Sewing machine and all of her craft items. Every time I picked something up to load into my truck, it brought back memories.  Picking up the baskets I  used to put my wool in to store until I spun it reduced me to tears.  It was a slightly pathetic display of emotions that afternoon, but I think I needed it.

I needed to remember what she taught me, and the joy it brought both her and me.  It reminded me that I want  teach my children those same lessons, and the kind of women I want to become.  Mary Francis Hayden, my grandmother, was an amazing women for her time.  She was incredibly independent, funny, intelligent, and old fashioned at the same time. The older I get the more of her I see in myself, and I'm happy about that.  It was hard, but nice to see and remember how I started this journey of crafting.  So thanks Grandma, you are a huge part of  who I am today, and I miss you all the time.


On another note, I've finally finished all my custom orders. So I currently have nothing to knit. I think I will finally start knitting a hat for myself! Look at this awesome pattern I found on Ravelry.   This bulky hat is georgous. I can't wait to start it.

1 comment:

  1. Loved reading about your grandmother and how special she was to you. A true Legacy she has left in the hearts of her family. Inspiring!

    ReplyDelete